Call-in Criteria


When faced with large damaging developments in your area, and if you are concerned the local planning authority might approve them, you can appeal to the Secretary of State responsible for planning to 'call-in' the application. It's best to do this as soon as possible.

Over the years, Secretaries of State have not been keen to interfere too often at a local level. So for any call-in request to be successful you need to show that the development meets one or more of the following criteria set out in a Ministerial Statement in 2012.

The Criteria

The Secretary of State will, in general, only consider the use of his call-in powers if planning issues of more than local importance are involved. Such cases may include, for example, those which in his opinion:

  • may conflict with national policies on important matters;
  • may have significant long-term impact on economic growth and meeting housing needs across a wider area than a single local authority;
  • could have significant effects beyond their immediate locality;
  • give rise to substantial cross-boundary or national controversy;
  • raise significant architectural and urban design issues; or
  • may involve the interests of national security or of foreign Governments.

However, each case will continue to be considered on its individual merits.

Where to send your request

Send your request to:
Planning Casework Unit
Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities
23 Stephenson Street
Birmingham B2 4BH


More help and support

If you would like further advice about the call-ins or planning in general, the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) runs Planning Aid England and Planning Aid Wales, to help individuals and local communities. It also has a specific page on call-ins.