Take Action

This page lists any significant consultations or actions that people might wish to engage with:



Autumn Budget and Spending Review 2021 - HM Treasury is welcoming representations on spending priorities for this year's Autumn Budget and the Spending Review. Please tell them to cancel the roads programme part of RIS2, and spend the money instead on public transport, walking and cycling, roads maintenance, electrification of the rail network, and putting freight onto rail. More details in our blog. Consultation closes 30 September 2021

Future Road Investment - National Highways is seeking views on future investment in the strategic roads network (motorways and the main A-roads). Ideas could include better landscaping, more noise barriers, reducing community severance, more and better cycle facilities, etc. Consultation closes 30 November, 2021

Nationally Significant Infrastructure Planning (NSIP) process consultation - The Government are currently "seeking views on the Nationally Significant Infrastructure Planning (NSIP) process". NSIPs are large road schemes, such as those in the RIS2 roads programme, that go through a special planning process to gain a Development Consent Order (DCO), a form of planning permission. The Government wants to speed the process up, but the process is already very rushed. Consultation ends 17 December 2021.


There are currently no regional transport consultations. Please tell us if there is anything we have missed.


Currently there are no roads consultations. Please let us know if there are any we have missed. 


Please get in touch if you think there is a major consultation we should have listed here. Thanks.


ACTIONS and Petitions

Call for more rural buses - Please sign and share this CPRE petition calling for a reliable bus service for every community. They want to reduce social isolation and traffic, making travel possible to and from the countryside for those without a car.

Stop Highways England's wrecking ball - Please sign and share The Historical Railways Estate Group's petition to stop Highways England demolishing or infilling old railway bridges and tunnels many of which could be needed for re-opening railways or creating new walking and cycling routes. There's also another petition focussed on the Queensbury Tunnel in Yorkshire, one of the assets Highways England is determined to put out of action.

Stop the Silvertown Tunnel – if you live in London, please write to your local council, assembly members and MP calling on them to join the growing opposition to the tunnel. Stop the Silvertown Tunnel have drafted a letter which you can use and adapt to lobby the politicians with.

Stop the Red Route scheme in Flintshire (Wales) – please support this joint open letter to Ken Skates, the Minister for Economy, Transport and North Wales, and to the First Minister of Wales, Mark Drakeford, opposing the proposed highly damaging 6 mile dual carriageway which would destroy wildlife sites and an award winning organic farm.